Smart Notifications (Android)
The smart notifications feature allows you to get alerts about incoming calls, messages and notifications from apps onto your M460. You’ll get the same notifications on your M460 that you get on your phone screen. Smart notifications are blocked during Orthostatic test, Fitness test and training sessions in which you use Interval timer.
- Make sure you have Android version 5.0 or newer on your phone.
- Make sure you have the latest firmware on your M460.
- To use the Smart Notifications feature you need to have the Polar Flow mobile app for Android, and your M460 needs to be paired with the app. For the Smart Notifications feature to work, Polar Flow app must be running on your phone.
- Please note that when the Smart Notifications feature is on, the battery of your M460 and phone will run out faster due to increased Bluetooth activity.
We have verified the functionality with some of the most common phone models, like Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, LG G4, Sony Xperia Z3. There might be differences in the functionality with other phone models which support Android 5.0.
Your M460 needs to be paired with Flow app to receive alerts and notifications, and you also need to have the correct settings on your M460 and phone.
After updating the firmware of your M460, you need to sync it with Flow app in order for the smart notifications settings to appear.
Notifications are off by default. They can be set on/off on your M460 or the Polar Flow app.
Set the Smart Notifications feature on/off on M460 as follows.
On your M460, go to Menu > Settings > General settings > Smart notifications.
- Choose On to receive notifications, and have the contents of the notifications shown the display.
- Choose On (no preview) if you don’t want to see the contents of the notifications on the display. You’ll just be informed that you’ve received a notification.
- Choose Off if you don't wish to get any notifications on your M460.
Set the Smart Notifications feature on/off in the Polar Flow mobile app as follows.
- Open the Polar Flow mobile app.
- Go to Devices.
- Under Phone notifications choose On, On (no preview) or Off.
- Sync your M460 with the mobile app by pressing and holding the BACK button of your M460.
- Smart notifications on or Smart notifications off is shown on your M460 display.
Whenever you change the notification settings on the Polar Flow mobile app, remember to sync your M460 with the mobile app.
To be able to receive notifications from your phone on your M460, the notifications need to be enabled for the mobile applications from which you want to receive them. Notifications are enabled by default but you can check whether they are enabled or disabled either via the mobile application’s settings or via your Android phone’s App notifications settings. See the user manual of your phone for further information on App notifications settings.
Then Polar Flow app has to have permission to read the notifications from your phone. You have to give Polar Flow app access to your phone notifications (i.e. enable notifications in the Polar Flow app). Polar Flow app guides you to give access when needed.
When getting an alert, your M460 will notify you with a sound. A calendar event or message alert once, while incoming calls alert until you press the BACK button on your Polar M460, answer the phone, or after alerting for 30 seconds.
The caller’s name is shown on the display if you have the caller on your mobile phonebook and the name only includes basic Latin characters and special characters of the following languages: French, Finnish, Swedish, German, Norwegian or Spanish.
Notifications can be dismissed manually or by timeout. Manually dismissing the notification also dismisses it from your phone screen, but timeout just removes it from your M460, and it will still be visible on your phone.
To dismiss notifications from the display:
- Manually: Press the BACK button
- Timeout: The notification will disappear after 30 seconds if you do not dismiss it manually
In Polar Flow app you can block notifications from certain apps. As soon as you’ve received the first notification from an app to your M460, the app will be listed in Devices > Block apps and you can block it if you wish.
Smart notifications are blocked when Strava Live Segment view is active on your M460. If you wish to receive smart notifications for example during a longer segment, you can enable them by changing the training view.