Using Strava Live Segments with V650
Strava Segments are previously defined sections of road or trail where athletes can compete for time in cycling or running. Segments are defined in Strava.com and can be created by any Strava user. You can use segments to compare your own times, or to compare with other Strava users' times who have also completed the segment. Each segment has a public leaderboard with King/Queen of the Mountain (KOM/QOM) who has the best time for that segment.
If you have a Strava Premium account, you can use the Strava Live Segments® feature on your Polar V650. All customers who purchase a V650 are entitled to a free 60 day Strava Premium Membership. Please note that the offer applies to new Strava Premium Members only. The customer will receive instructions on how to start using the Strava Premium via Flow welcome email, once they register their new V650.
Import Strava Live Segments from Strava.com to Polar Flow
- Connect your Strava and Polar Flow accounts in Polar Flow web service OR Polar Flow app:
Polar Flow web service: Settings > Account > Strava > Connect
Polar Flow app: General Settings > Connect > Strava (swipe the button to connect)
- Select the segments you wish to export to Polar Flow in Strava.com:
Press the star icon next to a segment name.
You can skip step 3 if you wish to quickly transfer one or two Strava Live Segments to your V650. Just select the segments in Strava.com and sync your V650 to transfer Strava Live Segments from Polar Flow to your V650.
- Click on the Update segments button on the Polar Flow web service's Favorites page to import Strava Live Segments to Polar Flow.
Transfer Strava Live Segments from Polar Flow to your V650
Sync data between your V650 and the Polar Flow web service via the USB cable with FlowSync software or wirelessly via Bluetooth with the Polar Flow app. During the sync your top 20 favorites including the Strava Live Segments you have imported from Strava.com are transferred to your V650.
Your V650 can have a maximum of 20 favorites at a time. If you have over 20 favorites in the Flow web service, the first 20 on the list are transferred to your V650 when syncing. If the segment you want to transfer to you V650 is not among the first 20 favorites, change the order of your favorites by dragging and dropping them.
Enable Strava Live Segments® feature on your Polar V650
- Go to FAVORITES and tap the radio button to enable Strava Live Segments. To see a list of all the segments you’ve transferred to your V650, tap the Strava Live Segments field.
- From the list, you can see the name and length of each segment. To preview a segment on a map, tap the segment field on the list.
- The map view shows the length of the segment, the average grade, your personal record (PR) and KOM/QOM time of the segment. You can browse the map by swiping, and zoom in with a double tap and zoom out with a two-finger tap. Return to main view by tapping <.
- Strava Live Segments is shown in the FAVORITES tile when the feature is enabled.
Training with Strava Live Segments
- When you start recording a bike ride with GPS (Cycling, Road cycling or Mountain biking sport profiles), the closest Strava segments® and the direct distance (beeline) between you and the starting point are shown in the NEARBY SEGMENTS view on your V650. In the map view, you’ll see the starting point and the direction of the segments.
- Your V650 alerts you with a sound when you are approaching a Strava segment and displays the distance to the segment start. You can cancel the segment by tapping CANCEL on your V650.
- You get another sound alert when you reach the starting point of the segment. Both the name of the segment and your personal record time (PR) for the segment are shown on V650. Recording of the segment starts automatically.
- Strava Live Segment view is added as a training view when the segment starts. You'll get real-time performance data displayed on your V650 showing Strava segment information and data to manage your effort.
In the map view, tap the data field on the left to toggle between the following options: AHEAD/BEHIND PR, AHEAD/BEHIND KOM/QOM, DISTANCE TO GO and DURATION (Total time elapsed during the segment). Tap the data field on the right to toggle between the following options: SPEED, DURATION (Total duration of the training session so far), HEART RATE and POWER.
- After you have completed the segment, V650 displays your segment time, the time difference between PR and the time difference between KOM/QOM.
Results are calculated and displayed instantly on your V650 when the segment ends, but you need to check the final results at Strava.com.
Further information about Strava segments is available on Strava Support.
Strava Live Segments is a trademark of Strava, Inc.