Using Strava Live Segments with V650
Strava Segments are previously defined sections of road or trail where athletes can compete for time in cycling or running. Segments are defined in Strava.com and can be created by any Strava user. You can use segments to compare your own times, or to compare with other Strava users' times who have also completed the segment. Each segment has a public leaderboard with King/Queen of the Mountain (KOM/QOM) who has the best time for that segment.
Note that you need to have a Strava Summit Analysis pack to use the Strava Live Segments feature on your V650. Once you have activated Strava Live Segments and exported segments to your Flow account and synced them to your V650 you will receive an alert on your V650 when approaching any of your favorite Strava segments.
When performing a segment, you'll get real-time performance data displayed on your V650 showing whether you are ahead or behind your personal record (PR) of the segment. Your results are calculated and displayed instantly on your V650 when the segment ends, but you need to check the final results at Strava.com.
Connect your Strava and Polar Flow accounts
You can connect your Strava and Polar Flow accounts in the Polar Flow web service or in the Polar Flow app.
In the Polar Flow web service go to Settings > Partners > Strava > Connect.
In the Polar Flow app go to General Settings > Connect > Strava (swipe the button to connect).
Import Strava Segments to your Polar Flow account
- In your Strava account, choose the segments you wish to import to your Polar Flow Favorites/V650. This is done by choosing the star icon next to a segment name.
- Then in the Polar Flow web service's Favorites page choose the Update Strava Live Segments button to import the starred Strava Live Segments to your Polar Flow account.
- Your V650 can have a maximum of 20 favorites at a time. Choose the segments you want to transfer to your V650 by clicking the selection boxes on the left of the Strava Live Segments list to move them to the sync list for your V650 on the right. You can change the order of your favorites on the V650 by dragging and dropping them.
- Sync your V650 to save your changes on the device.
For more information on managing your favorites in the Polar Flow web service and app, see Manage Favorites and training targets in Polar Flow.
Enable Strava Live Segments feature on your Polar V650
- Go to FAVORITES and tap the radio button to enable Strava Live Segments. To see a list of all the segments you’ve transferred to your V650, tap the Strava Live Segments field.
- From the list, you can see the name and length of each segment. To preview a segment on a map, tap the segment field on the list.
- The map view shows the length of the segment, the average grade, your personal record (PR) and KOM/QOM time of the segment. You can browse the map by swiping, and zoom in with a double tap and zoom out with a two-finger tap. Return to main view by tapping <.
- Strava Live Segments is shown in the FAVORITES tile when the feature is enabled.
Training with Strava Live Segments
- When you start recording a bike ride with GPS (Cycling, Road cycling or Mountain biking sport profiles), the closest Strava segments and the direct distance (beeline) between you and the starting point are shown in the NEARBY SEGMENTS view on your V650. In the map view, you’ll see the starting point and the direction of the segments.
- Your V650 alerts you with a sound when you are approaching a Strava segment and displays the distance to the segment start. You can cancel the segment by tapping CANCEL on your V650.
- You get another sound alert when you reach the starting point of the segment. Both the name of the segment and your personal record time (PR) for the segment are shown on V650. Recording of the segment starts automatically.
- Strava Live Segment view is added as a training view when the segment starts. You'll get real-time performance data displayed on your V650 showing Strava segment information and data to manage your effort.
In the map view, tap the data field on the left to toggle between the following options: AHEAD/BEHIND PR, AHEAD/BEHIND KOM/QOM, DISTANCE TO GO and DURATION (Total time elapsed during the segment). Tap the data field on the right to toggle between the following options: SPEED, DURATION (Total duration of the training session so far), HEART RATE and POWER.
- After you have completed the segment, V650 displays your segment time, the time difference between PR and the time difference between KOM/QOM.
Results are calculated and displayed instantly on your V650 when the segment ends, but you need to check the final results at Strava.com.
Further information about Strava segments is available on Strava Support.
Strava Live Segments is a trademark of Strava, Inc.