Does my Polar product contain nickel?
Stainless steel is a combination of iron along with elements such as nickel and chromium. Adding these elements to the iron makes it much more durable and stops it from rusting. Many Polar products contain stainless steel in either the back case or the buckle. Stainless steel is widely used in saucepans, surgical tools, jewellery and many other consumer products. Polar stainless steel parts are manufactured with stricter standards than required under European law. However, even at these lower levels, a small quantity of nickel is still used in this type of steel. In normal use we believe it is completely safe for most people. However, people who have a known sensitivity to nickel should check the product manual for more information about the product they are considering. For details on the materials used in your product, please see the technical specifications in the product manual.
To take care of your skin, please:
- allow your skin to breathe by ensuring the product is not too tight against your skin. You should be able to place a finger between the wrist strap and your wrist.
- when wearing a Polar device with the wrist-based heart rate measurement feature, remember to regularly let the skin on your arm breathe and have breaks from the tightly worn wristband. It’s a good idea to loosen the wristband every now and then, for example, when your activity is low, to avoid skin irritation.
- avoid wearing perfumes or other chemicals between the product and your skin.
- tend to any existing cuts, scratches or sores that might be irritated by sweat before wearing the monitor.
- clean the product regularly with a mild soap solution. Rinse well to remove any soap residue.
If you shower with your product, make sure no shampoo or soap is left between your skin and the wristband.