Using the Polar Equine heart rate monitor
- For the heart rate sensor to read heart rate properly, ensure a good contact between the plastic electrode areas and the horse’s skin. Wet the belt thoroughly, for example in a bucket of water.
Also wet the horse’s hair from the areas where the electrodes of the belt are placed. If your horse has long or thick hair, you can clip those areas. This greatly improves the heart rate signal quality.
- Attach the heart rate sensor to the pocket of the equine belt. Close the pocket firmly.
- Place the strap on the reverse side of the heart rate sensor pocket.
- Attach the belt around the horse with the heart rate sensor pocket on the left side of the horse. This ensures that the electrode areas of the belt are in the right position. Make sure, that the electrode areas are on the left side of the horse.
- Saddle/harness the horse. The heart rate sensor should stay under the girth/harness. Attach the heart rate sensor to the girth/harness with the strap as indicated.
Polar Equine heart rate monitor for trotters: Polar Equine heart rate monitor for riding:
- Attach the belt to the girth/harness on the right side of the horse using the other strap. The belt should stay under the girth/harness.
View the horse’s heart rate on a compatible Polar training device or mobile app.
The range of the heart rate sensor is over 10 m. Therefore, you can monitor your horse’s heart rate also when lungeing.
To optimize the contact between the horse’s skin and the electrodes, contact gel can be used on the electrodes. It ensures a better detection of the horse’s heart rate. Apply the gel on the electrode areas on the reverse side of the belt.