For the most accurate speed and distance results Polar recommends the following calibration of the Polar S3 stride sensor W.I.N.D. / Polar s3+ stride sensor.
Before calibrating, enable stride sensor in the following way:
1) Press upper right button four times in the time mode to go to Settings.
2) Press OK and use lower right button to go to Features, press OK four times. “Exercise displays updated” appears on display. Stride sensor is now set on.
Also, before starting to calibrate remember to set A. lap off:
1) Press upper right button four times in the time mode to get to Settings.
2) Press OK, and use lower right button to step to Features.
3) Press OK and use lower right button six times.
4) Press OK and press lower right button once and press OK. A. lap is now set off.
CALIBRATION BY RUNNING
1. In time mode press Start button to start exercise. See that you have a solid Running man icon on the bottom left of your display. This indicates that the stride sensor is identified. If the Running man icon is not visible, your RS800sd will ask you to check the S.Sensor.
2. Once you are at a start of a known distance, press OK and start running. Minimum recommended distance is 1000m. The longer the distance the better for calibration. To get best results, use an accurate calibration distance, e.g. by calibrating on a running track.
3. Once you have reached the calibration distance, stop running, stand still for about 3 seconds and press STOP once. Alternatively, you can stop running, stand still for 3 seconds and press and hold Light. Go to Settings.
4. In Settings menu, select Calibrate and press OK.
5. In Calibration menu, select Correct Lap and press OK.
6. Now set the covered distance using UP or DOWN button. Press OK.
7. “Calibration complete” and the calibration factor is displayed.
8. If “S sensor calibration failed” is displayed after finishing the calibration, please, calibrate again. Calibration fails if data transmission from the stride sensor has been interrupted during the calibration.
Calibration factor can be calculated using the formula below:
For example: you run 1200m, the running computer shows a distance of 1180m, and existing calibration factor is 1.000. To calculate the new calibration factor as follows: 1.000*1200/1180 = 1.017.
Once you know the calibration factor, there are four options for setting the calibration factor on your RS800sd:
Option 1. Before exercise.
Select Settings - Features - S sensor - Calibrate.
Set the Calibration factor and press OK. The stride sensor is now calibrated.
Option 2. After starting heart rate measurement and before exercise recording.
In the time mode, select OK - Settings - S sensor - Calibrate.
Set the Calibration factor and press OK. The stride sensor is now calibrated, and you can start exercise recording by pressing OK.
Option 3. During exercise while pausing exercise recording.
Start exercising by pressing OK twice in the time display. Press STOP once to pause exercise recording.
Select Settings - Calibrate - Set factor.
Set the Calibration factor and press OK. The stride sensor is now calibrated. Press OK to continue exercise recording.
Option 4. During exercise, without pausing exercise recording.
Press OK twice in the time display to start exercising. Press and hold LIGHT to get to Settings.
Select Calibrate - Set factor.
Set the Calibration factor and press OK. The stride sensor is now calibrated. Continue running.
For best results Polar recommends that you do the calibration run on the type of terrain and with the speed you normally use for running.
If you use several pairs of running shoes; it is recommended that
You perform calibration on each individual pair of shoes, write down the calibration factor, and change the factor according to which pair of shoes you use.
Follow instructions on section “Manual calibration” when calibration factor is known.
Calibration is not possible if you have selected distance based guidance for your exercise.